Wednesday 24 December 2014

STWW: Sharing Presence

Image Source
A couple days back I received an invitation to my friend's daughter's first birthday. A small paper slipped out which read (I'm paraphrasing) "Though your presence is all that my daughter wants, those who wish to bring a gift can make a donation to the Educate Lanka Foundation, a charity that provides education to children in need in Sri Lanka". I was blown away with how lovely this idea was - her daughter is blessed to having loving parents, doting grandparents and aunts and uncles that constantly spoil her; she doesn't need any more toys/clothes/books and so her family is selflessly requesting a donation be made to those in need.

This invitation, and this article inspired me for this week's STWW post: sharing your presence. Christmas and the holidays are a wonderful time of year, you give and receive presents, you spend the day with your loved ones, eating delicious food and sharing memories. And while presents are always welcome, what about your presence? Are you 100% focused on the people that surround you? 

As a social media addict, I can see how common it is for us to be glued to our phones even when we're surrounded by others. I feel as though I take and edit all these beautiful pictures to put on Instagram for me to remember (and, I'll admit it, sometimes I do it to show others) an event when I should be present in the moment to create memories rather than take pictures of them. 

So this holiday season let's all leave our phones in our bags and jackets and focus on what and who is in front of us. This Christmas, don't just hand out presents, share your presence. What are you going to do to be more present?

Merry Christmas to those celebrating and Happy Holidays to those who aren't!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...