Wednesday 27 May 2015

The Sunday Mind: Sex for Minors?

If you've seen one of my fairly recent tweets (shameless plug here: follow me on Twitter!), you'll know that I really wish I could write incredible, thought provoking opinion pieces. It's not that I don't have the opinions, I just don't think I have the technical skill that many wonderful writers do, to write something that is worded wonderfully and gets people thinking.

Anyway, I've decided to write my thoughts out - no recipes or reviews, just general thoughts I had - in the hopes of figuring out a writing style for opinion pieces. *EDIT* After writing some thoughts out, I've realized what a rambly writer I am so I'm going to break it down, one thought at a time. Here's what's been on my mind lately:

The Ontario Sex-Ed Curriculum. If you live in Ontario (or maybe anywhere in Canada), you'll know there's been a huge fuss on the new sex-ed curriculum. The plan is to start sex-ed teachings from grade 1, a decision many parents think is unsuitable. Here's why I'm confused as to why parents oppose it (and correct me if I have any facts wrong):

1. The curriculum will be age appropriate. In grade 1 students will learn the correct names for body parts, grade 3 will teach students about sexual orientation and gender, etc. I don't understand what's inappropriate about that - they're not tossing Karma Sutra at the kids and telling them to figure it out.

2. I think it's great teaching kids about sexual orientation and transgendered people will make them more broad-minded and tolerant. I hope it reduces bullying and suicide of LGBTQ.

3. I also love the fact that consent will be a topic. A lot of people I've spoken to says consent and values like that should be taught at home from parents; the problem is consent isn't been spoken about at home. I think parents assume their sons and daughters understand consent and respecting others but it's not an easy assumption to make. While I'm sure most parents don't teach their kids to rape or assault, they're not teaching them to not do such things either. If consent was stressed at home, there would be fewer cases of rape and assault. But that's not the case and I don't blame parents for not explicitly teaching their children so, I just think it's time they start.

4. I've also heard that parents have the choice for their children to opt-out of the class so why can't people just do that? I personally think that people just don't understand what the curriculum offers and at which ages. I'm curious to see all opinions so comment below on why you're for or against the curriculum!

Have you heard about this curriculum change? What are your thoughts on it? What's been on your mind lately - comment below or tweet me @SundayWardrobe!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...