Wednesday 25 February 2015

STWW: Tips for Spending Less

It's rather ironic that I have a beauty blog that advises you to buy different products and I'm writing this post telling you to stop. But this is something I've been trying for a few months - there have been moments of weakness and lapses but, overall, I think I've been doing a pretty good job of spending less.

I would spend a lot of money on make up, food and clothes. I was addicted to online shopping (since I hate trying clothes on in-store) and it is the devil's work: shopping from the comfort of your bed is exactly what a lazy shopaholic like me needs. But my lack of savings forced me to rethink my spending habits and so here are a few tips that have helped me spend less:

1. Try to avoid malls (or don't bring your wallet): my biggest problem was that I'd go to malls with my mom "just to walk around" since it's too cold to do so outside. When I did this, I'd spend money on things I didn't need and clothes I wouldn't wear. I found that it was easy to not spend money when you literally couldn't.

2. Sleep on it: a new Forever21 opened up in our local mall and I went in a dropped quite a lot of several items. I went home and, feeling guilty about my purchases, I began to think, do I really need this? After a few nights, I realized I only needed (or really, really, really wanted) 2 out of 5 things I bought. So I went back and returned them. Having several days to mull over what you want is a good way to show that it's just a want, not a need. Before you buy something, take a couple days to think of if you really need it and you may realize that you don't.

3. Give yourself a time span: one way I began controlling my spending was setting myself a time span: I wouldn't spend money on unnecessary things for this month. After the month passed and I realized how much I'd saved, I would push it to another month. Gradually, I realized that I was capable of not spending and so, now, I don't find the need to.

4. Shop around: if you really need something (and time isn't a factor), shop around. You may find similar and cheaper products in other stores or even on Amazon and Ebay. Take your time to spend smart.

I hope these tips help you spend less and save more - it can be quite difficult but, ultimately, worth it.

Is spending less something that you'd want to try? Do you have any tips for spending less? Leave your comments down below!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...