Thursday 8 October 2015

Favourite WOC Youtubers!

Favourite Women of Colour (WOC) YouTubers
I spend quite a lot of time watching YouTube videos. Hauls, tutorials, vlogs - I'm a fan of it all. I love watching tutorials especially to see which makeup bits to buy and which are worth my money. I've realized recently that a lot of the YouTubers I watch are white; and while there's nothing wrong with me, a non-white, watching a white YouTuber, I realize that a lot of the products they use and recommend or the looks they create can't be translated on me at all. The foundations they use don't always have my shade, the highlighters that look stunning on them look chalky on me and even their lipsticks look washed out on my darker skin. Despite all this, I still watch their videos because I genuinely enjoy them but I know now that I can't always use the recommendations they make.

I've decided to list a few of my favourite WOC YouTubers for many reasons: to celebrate them, because I love their videos and because I hope their recommendations will help others the way they helped me. It took me a while to find these women despite watching YouTube daily for the past few years. I watch YouTubers like Lily Pebbles, Vivianna Does Make Up and Zoella so all those recommended to me (on the sidebar) are other white YouTubers whose fabulous make up looks look pretty bad on me. By the way, if you guys haven't seen the above mentioned YouTubers, you should: Lily's reviews are always so honest, Anna makes me want to clean my room and organize my life and Zoella's vlogs are so fun!

Jackie Aina: I haven't been watching Jackie for too long but I do love the makeup looks she does. Each of her looks are different but wear-able and not too over the top. She's so funny and honest and I just want to hang out with her and have her teach me her makeup tricks!

Its My Raye Raye: I discovered her fairly recently and I've been loving her make up looks. She's about a shade lighter than me so watching her videos make it easy for me to see which shades and brands of makeup I should go for. I also love that she doesn't just stick to neutral looks (I'm completely guilty of this) and so watching her bold looks make me feel like I can pull off something a little more dramatic too.

Nabela Noor: Aside from her lovely make up looks, I haven't seen anyone so positive and bubbly as her. I genuinely want to be her friend! Her videos are fun and I just feel happier and more positive watching them!

Kathleen Lights: I know that her skin tone is way, way different from mine but she is so entertaining. She's also very, very honest with her reviews and so I do trust the brands that she raves about. I also love her lip swatches videos - it gives me a more realistic sense of the colours on a person versus in the tube.

Who are your favourite YouTubers? Leave recommendations for all types of YouTube channels, I'm always on the hunt for something informative or entertaining :) Comment below or tweet me @SundayWardrobe

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...